Room for Rent and other rental scams
#266156 by Michelle Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:55 am
Dennis Siro <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately there is a problem showing you the apartment, because I already left with my job in United Kingdom, and the keys are with me. Before I had to leave for United Kingdom I had someone interested in the apartment, he said that he will take the apartment, I waited for him, but unfortunately he didn't managed to get the money to rent it, I had to leave and I was unable to rent the apartment when I was still there. Obviously this brought me financial loss. So I can tell that I have a bitter experience of making reservation, for this reason I decided to use an specialized company in this kind of transactions.

As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be $1200 with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired directly to my Bank Account or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.

The apartment is in excellent condition, you only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check it out, and see if you like it. Since at this moment I'm in London, United Kingdom and obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal.The solution is a worldwide third party company called Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) ,they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package.

We use this company to see that you are an trusting and serious person. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment. Please be aware that is NOT necessary for you to register with Airbnb for this transaction, I've made over 5 transactions with them so far. They are really professional and they have great services.

My phone number is +44 20 32 89 94 98. You can call me or e-mail anytime you wish.

Let me know if you are interested so I can provide with all the steps of this transaction. You need to know everything about this process before we get this started. I think is right for both of us.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!
Dennis

Subject: Re: $1200 Lovely Downtown Studio - Fully furnished
To: Michelle Banks

Hi again,

You will only have to deposit to Airbnb the first month rent (no damage deposit, no last month rent), an total of 1200$ so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the rental package (keys and documents). I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this process will work:

1 - To start the process all I need is your full info (full name, address and a cell phone number).
2 - I will go at Airbnb to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
3 - Airbnb will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department in London. They will also confirm that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.
4 - Airbnb will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody. They will also send you all the payment instructions to complete the rental transaction.
5 - At this point you will have to make a money deposit on the Airbnb account for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit for the first month of rent. The payment needs to be sent within 24 hours after you receive the transaction details or else they will charge me an additional fee.
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the payment details to Airbnb .
7 - Airbnb will verify the transfer and if everything is in order they will start the shipping procedures using UPS Next Day Shipping Service.
8 - After you receive the package, you will go by yourself and check the apartment and in 5 days (inspection time) you must contact Airbnb to inform them if you keep the apt or not and if everything is in order you will instruct Airbnb to send me the information about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds. If you don`t like the apartment they will be sending the money back to you and you will send back the keys and contract. Airbnb can't release the funds without your approval.

Let me know if you have the funds available (1200$) so we can move forward and e-mail me your full information I requested. Any further questions regarding the transaction you can call or e-mail me.

Thanks
Dennis

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#267413 by AlanJones Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:27 pm
Xusis wrote:Where you found the announcement? what site?
What miserable people!

What, the announcement that Dennis Siro - [email protected] is a dumb scammer? The evidence is all in Michelle's post.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#275007 by knath Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:21 am
HI,

I just got an email from this guy- he was posting on Padmapper:
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately there is a problem showing you the apartment, because I already left with my job in United Kingdom, and the keys are with me. Before I had to leave for United Kingdom I had someone interested in the apartment, he said that he will take the apartment, I waited for him, but unfortunately he didn't managed to get the money to rent it, I had to leave and I was unable to rent the apartment when I was still there. Obviously this brought me financial loss. So I can tell that I have a bitter experience of making reservation, for this reason I decided to use an specialized company in this kind of transactions.

As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 760CAD with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.

The apartment is in excellent condition, you only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check it out, and see if you like it. Since at this moment I'm in London, United Kingdom and obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal.The solution is a worldwide third party company called Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) ,they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package.

We use this company to see that you are an trusting and serious person. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment. Please be aware that is NOT necessary for you to register with Airbnb for this transaction, I've made over 5 transactions with them so far. They are really professional and they have great services.

My phone number is +44 20 814 473 80. You can call me or e-mail anytime you wish.

Let me know if you are interested so I can provide with all the steps of this transaction. You need to know everything about this process before we get this started. I think is right for both of us.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

What a wanker.