Room for Rent and other rental scams
#331328 by MsMarina Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 am
Now trying to scam in Langley BC, Canada! Apparently there were 2, one caught by another house hunter in Surrey BC. This time under the name Roberta Cogoni.

I replied to a to good to be true apartment listing on craigslist (thinking I'd just check it out and see if it really was a scam) and got the reply below. It contained the WRONG address, horrendous english and grammar, and the same phone number (listed as a scam number here and on other sites when I googled it). Not sure how I'm supposed to view/rent this apartment when the keys are "in the UK" and I'm also not sending an application with personal information back to you! Shameful.

On Jun 18, 2017, at 9:42 PM, Roberta Cogoni wrote:

Thanks for the email. I am Roberta Cogoni , I own the Apartment @ 45-8130-136 A Street Surrey, BC, Canada for rent and also want you to know that it was due to my transfer that makes I and my wife to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. So for now, We are here in United Kingdom in our new house and also with the keys of the apartment we try to look for an agent that we can give this documents before we left but could not see and we are as well as don't want our house to be used any how in the our absent that is why we took the keys along with us. I and my wife came over to United Kingdom for a missionary work, so i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the house. So get back to me on how you could take care of our house or perhaps experience you have in renting home. Hope you are okay with the price of (1 months first payment) with hydro,heat laundry facilities, air condition and so on. I am looking forward to hear from you ASAP so that i can forward you an application to fill out and discuss on how to get the apartment for rent. You are free to call me on my private phone number +447024030861
Await your reply.
Advertisement

#331331 by MsMarina Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 am
Sorry! I thought it was in the header of the email I copied from them. I didn't reply to this person once I got that email. I don't intend to engage further, nor to advise the person I found similar information online linking them to a scam. I did post to craigslist advising others that I believe that email address is from a scammer and to watch out for it in the future... someone else had identified it in a different ad as well and done the same. Is that ok to do?

The email was: From: Roberta Cogoni < [email protected] >
Subject: Re: Beautiful 1 + Den Suite in Cornerstone,
Date: June 18, 2017 at 9:42:08 PM PDT